Shingles is a very painful condition caused by HERPES ZOSTER, the same virus that causes chickenpox. Once you have had chickenpox the virus remains dormant in your system, it may reappear again in the form of shingles, but not always. Children of school going age usually get chickenpox in primary school and it is highly contagious. The severity of each case is different, from a mild itch to severe pain, high temperature and of course discomfort. It is a virus, so very often it just has to run its course, but there are complimentary therapies that can help to support the recovery process.
- Sensitivity on one side of the face or torso.
- Fever or chills.
- Extreme pain or discomfort in the affected areas.
- Clear blisters appear.
- Blisters turn yellow and crust over forming a scab, eventually falling off.
- Herpes zoster virus
- Weakened immune system.
- Take extra care to choose the right foods to help in the recovery process
- Eat plenty of foods that are high in vitamin B as vitamin B is great for the nerve endings. For example dark greens, eggs, wholegrains etc.
- Eat foods that are high in vitamin C as it will support the skin and the immune system. For example oranges, kiwi, peppers, tomatoes etc.
- Avoid foods that will deplete your system such as processed foods, sugar, carbonated drinks, caffeinated drinks or snacks.
- Drink plenty of hot drinks with ginger, turmeric, echinacea.
- Sleep and rest
There are lots of supplements to choose from to boost your immune system. Not everyone likes to take supplements, but you should if you are fighting the virus, if only for a short time. I would suggest
- OLIVE LEAF, helps fight the virus.
- ZINC, aids in healing of the skin.
- VITAMIN B & C, nerve endings and supports the immune system.
- ELDERBERRY , supports the immune system and can help rising temperature.
Do consult a practitioner first, if other medication is being taken, to avoid contraindications